Financial Support for Conferences in Estonia
Estonia highly values the organisation of international conventions, congresses, and corporate events that bring people together from all lines of work from all over the world. They are a catalyst for local value creation, in addition to serving as an economic asset and a driving force for the city’s internationalisation. Estonia is where modern meets medieval – the perfect location for your one-of-a-kind conference. That’s why we offer a range of financial supports to enhance your programme, create unique experiences and exceed all your delegates’ expectations.
Enterprise Estonia’s International Conferences Support Scheme
Launched in 2016, the aim of the measure is to raise Estonia’s profile as a country hosting international conferences. Support can be applied to cover both the organisational costs of the conference and the external marketing costs. The minimum grant per conference is €7,500 and the maximum is €30,000, however, the maximum grant will not exceed 70% of the project’s eligible costs. Legal entities registered in Estonia, as well as Estonian public authorities and local authorities, are eligible to apply for conference grants. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. The support is financed by the European Regional Development Fund. Please note that under this measure, the conference must take place no later than 31 August 2023. Some conference management companies, such as Conference Expert, Konverentsimeistrid, Publicon, can also help with the enterprise Estonia’s conference grant applications.
Who can apply for the grant?
Well, in short – more or less anyone. However, there are some criteria that definitely have to be met. Here are some of the most important highlights:
- The event must be physically organised in Estonia.
- The conference must fall under the following definition: a scientific, professional or recreational gathering with an international audience, with presentations and discussions, or a meeting of representatives of countries, organisations or agencies to discuss and resolve issues in a specific field.
- The programme must last for at least two consecutive days and include at least two days of conference content, plus an opening or closing event, entertainment or excursions and other activities.
- The communication for the conference must oversee marketing activities that will contribute to increasing awareness of Estonia as a tourist destination, including marketing activities planned for at least one foreign market and the provision of information on tourism opportunities in Estonia.
- The event must involve small and medium-sized enterprises to cater for foreign visitors in the planning and implementation.
- All facilities and transport organised for the conference must also be inclusive of people with special needs.
- The list of participants must include a minimum number of foreign visitors – 50 foreigners for an event in Tallinn, 25 for outside Tallinn.
- Some important things to bear in mind
There is a lot to consider when organising such a conference, however, any applicant must ensure the conference can take place no later than 30 months of the date of submission of the grant. It’s also important to note from the start that the marketing materials for the organised event must be based on the Estonian marketing concept developed by the implementing body and refer to visitestonia.com.
The application must be submitted at least three months before the conference unless the organisation of the conference requires the acquisition of international organising rights.
As it is set right now, the minimum grant per conference is €7,500 and the maximum is €30,000.
Further information can be found at Enterprise Estonia web site
The Enterprise Estonia also offers personalised pre-consultation to applicants.
Tartu Conference Grant
The City of Tartu also greatly supports the organization of various types of conferences by both private and public legal entities. To be eligible, the conference must take place in Tartu, the total number of overnight stays in Tartu must be at least 100 and the conference programme must last at least two consecutive days. The grant is applied for through the Tartu City Government’s application and processing information system. Applications for conference grants are submitted to the City Administration no later than October 1st of the previous calendar year for conferences taking place between January 1st and June 30th, and no later than April 1st for conferences taking place between July 1st and December 31st. More information can be found at Visit Tartu web site.
Free public transport for conferences in Tallinn
Tallinn provides free public transport for delegates to various international events (conferences, cultural and sporting events). For this purpose, a new ticketing product has been created: the conference QR ticket, of which 2 variants will be created for each event: one for printing out and one for displaying on a smartphone screen. The ticket can be emailed to registered delegates early and they can use them as soon as they arrive in Tallinn. The QR code can also be printed on participants’ neck badges. For more information on the conditions and how to apply, see Visit Tallinn’s website
Tallinn also offers participants and their companions at international events in Tallinn the opportunity to purchase a Tallinn Card at a 10% discount. The Tallinn Card offers a 10% discount on the price of a Tallinn Card for international travellers and their friends and family who attend an international event. To offer the joy of discovery outside the conference or event venue, the Tallinn Card complements a business trip with a small extra break either before or after the event. The card will also help to fill the days in Tallinn of a companion or family member attending an event in a comfortable and meaningful way.
Estonian Conference Bureau assistance
If necessary, our team can help you to prepare bid documents for the conference application, a presentation introducing the destination, organise a site inspection visit to Estonia for an international organisation. Feel free to contact us anytime!