The Assembly Hall of the University of Tartu is located in its main building, which is one of the most outstanding treasures of classicist architecture in Estonia. It was built in 1804–1809 on the basis of a design by Professor Johann Wilhelm Krause, architect of the university.
The hall seats 470 people (340 on the ground floor and 130 on the balcony). The assembly hall of the University of Tartu can be used for conferences; lecture halls can only be used if they are not needed for studies.
The Assembly Hall is outstanding for its pure style and simplicity. Grand opening of the main building of the University was held 31st June 1809. From since, all the great celebrations and anniversaries of the university are held there.